Thursday, June 23, 2011

Believing The Unseen

On any journey we take to better ourselves there is always an undercurrent of faith that carries us through valleys and rough spots. Of course we don’t typically draw from it as much as we should. Instead we look to visible things to show us how far we’ve come and how much further we have to go. Maybe it’s a matter of weeks or months since the last cigarette was smoked, the last drink of alcohol was consumed, or the last candy bar passed the lips and landed on the hips. It could be a coin jar that hasn’t seen any new “potty change” because a swearing habit has been broken. For me, it’s the numbers on the scale, the size of my oh-so-truthful jeans – jeans never tell lies, by the way – and what I see in the mirror. The funny thing about sight is that so much of it is based on perception and so little on holistic reality. Don’t worry, I’m not going to weird anyone out with New Age philosophy. But I am going to be very candid about believing and having faith in things we don’t see with our eyes but we can certainly behold in our hearts.

No one would argue that changes are hard, and actually suck, at times. I mean, what average food loving individual would willingly bypass a brownie for a banana, or even broccoli. Girls, I can tell you right now that wasn’t me, not for most of my life. I don’t hate vegetables and actually enjoy them raw, cooked, alone, or with a small bit of butter. Fresh fruit and berries even make my taste buds sing a happy tune that makes me feel like wearing love beads and painting rainbow pictures. But when I’m battling a wild craving for chocolate, or ice cream, or chocolate swirl ice cream, I don’t hear any music and I’m not exactly happy about saying no to myself. I’m the one filling up the “potty change” jar with the colorful words in my head. That’s where my toughest struggle rests is in my thinking, and that’s where believing and having faith that God is changing me is most important. Because then I can seriously consider where poor choices will lead me, to a place of cake crumbs and licked-clean ice-cream bowls and emptiness. It’s a lonely hollow place that I never want to find myself at ever again.

Measuring success by the slowly descending numbers on the scale or jeans sizes can be encouraging and even keep the momentum going for a while. When others notice that the way we look has changed we can feel good about the compliments and even use that to motivate us to move towards our goals. But the good feeling from those kind and caring words lasts for mere moments and, without further dramatic differences in our appearance, may not be said again for a long time. Sticking with our health and fitness commitments requires a persevering attitude and strong resolve that we’re in this for the long haul, no matter who does or doesn’t notice and no matter if the numbers haven’t changed much at all. Supportive family members and friends can certainly keep us accountable when they see us faltering or slowing our progress. But, ultimately, the very act of choosing to do something hard or unappealing sets into motion something in us that is deeper than we may even understand. Call it inner fortitude, staying power, resolute endurance, or firmness of mind. Whatever it is it becomes an unshakable force that can help us withstand any situation or circumstance that might otherwise defeat us. For me it’s obvious that my strength comes from the Lord because I know how weak and vulnerable to failure I am. And even though I have not seen God with my human eyes, there is unquestionable evidence of His hand on my life that makes me believe with absolute confidence that the work that He has begun in me, He will be faithful to complete it! That gives me confidence to trust Him and know with all my heart that with Him all things, even things I can't see, are possible.

Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment