Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Cheats And Eats

We have been vacationing on and off all Summer, and it has been fantastic! We love to travel, see new places, and just enjoy a nice break from the routine. Between a church family camp at a nearby park to a family visit in Wyoming to a birthday celebration trip to Philadelphia, there has been plenty to do and discover, including how far it takes to walk from Embassy Suites to the Liberty Bell (1.6 miles). The food aspect is important because we tourists need it for fuel, of course, but we also use it for celebration and fun.

Yes, I just admitted that eating, for me, is fun! A lot of fun, in fact, if there are plenty of choices, like one might find at Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia. This is kind of an indoor version of our own Pike Place Market in Seattle, with more restaurants and a huge international supermarket. I personally loved the Mediterranean menu and really tucked into ½ my vegetarian lasagna. The mammoth portion was more than I needed to consume in one sitting and setting half of it aside for another meal wasn’t difficult at all. It was like two meals for the price of one! I also made sure to add homemade baklava to my purchase. And as possessive as I am with my sweet treats I graciously shared the baklava with the hubby and teen.

Breakfast at Embassy Suites are complimentary and delicious! From made-to-order omelettes to bowls full of fresh fruit it was easy to start the day of eating out right and healthy. I love my vegetables so my omelette was fully loaded with mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers, and onions along with diced ham and crumbled bacon (a girl can indulge a little, right?) The nice thing about a hotel suite is the refrigerator and microwave where we could take our uneaten yogurt or still intact muffin for snacking on later. It saves money and time when just a bit of munching is in order. We also bought a couple of bags of small Dove and Hershey’s chocolates to enhance our hotel experience, and to stave off cravings for heavy desserts. Like late at night during The Nanny marathon or catching up on Bones episodes. *cough, cough* After walking several miles every day one is practically entitled to a nibble or two here and there!

More often than not I stayed true to my salad-for-lunch commitment but I did cheat a bit with sauced up pastas and desserts (always shared, however). In other words, I enjoyed the flavors of the city and we always offered each other bites of whatever we had, but I got away with slightly fewer calories by turning one restaurant sized serving into two meals, except for the diced Norwegian salmon in a aurora cream sauce at Bellini. The portion was appropriate for one meal and we stayed long enough to savor the experience. And, by the blessed grace of God, I still didn’t add any pounds or inches. Now that totally feels like I just cheated!

Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment