Wednesday, August 24, 2011

On The Hunt...For Healthy!

I’ve been practically glued to my laptop for the past few days now. It’s not like it sounds. Yes, I do leave a social networking tab open the whole time. But I’m not parked there like an old decrepit clunker on the freeway. Clean that up, will you?! Truth is, I’m productively searching for something healthy. I’m always prowling the internet in my quest for better choices. Let’s face it, we can all make better choices. We all need to repent! We all need to sing like a choir in white robes while the organist plays something soulful. “I surrender all…” Do you hear me, sisters?!

On my social networking site of choice I have “like”d some sites that are motivating, encouraging, and butt-kicking when I need it. And I’ve had to un”like” some that were bringing me down, enabling bad choices, and offered to host my pity parties for a small fee. I’m learning to be stealthy and use whatever means I can to bag my catch. Am I setting my sights on more fiber? Hunt for recipes that include more fiber rich produce. Do I want to capture a protein-packed trophy? Look for the meats, beans and dairy items that will give me the boost I need without loading me down with unreasonable fat calories. Am I getting enough nutrients in my snacking choices? Expand my selection to include fresh fruits and vegetables and leave off the high sodium and carb-laden standbys. Hunt. Aim. Shoot.

Right now I’m looking for healthy and inexpensive protein bars that I can make myself. There are plenty of recipes out there for breakfast bars, cereal bars, granola bars, but some of the ingredients make me feel cheap and dirty, like I have no standards. And I have my standards! I’m not about to get picked up by something that looks okay but leaves me empty and ashamed of myself. I’m better than that! Besides, I’m the one wearing the safari hat stalking my prey. So, I fasten my buttons and look for things like protein, whole grain, and natural sweeteners. Dried fruits, seeds, and nuts are fine but I don’t want to blindly consume hidden calories just because everything else looks wholesome. To start with here’s a super-easy bar that doesn’t need baking:

Energy Bars- Unbaked (By: American Running Association Running and Fitnews)

1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup oat bran
1/2 cup vanilla protein powder
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 cup raisins or dried fruit, chopped
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup light Karo syrup

Mix it all well. Freeze in bar shapes.

Happy hunting!

Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment