Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Blame it on Bagger Vance

For many reasons, I am sure, today finds me very emotional. Partly because I just savored my last bowl of rice, stir fried veggies, and egg roll for the next 8 weeks. Partly because this house really needs attention. And partly because I stayed up past midnight last night watching a movie with Hubby. It was "The Legend of Bagger Vance." It was different. It was good. And it got me to thinking, and talking, and evaluating. My life.

Now, I'm not a golfer, nor do I have any intentions of picking up the game. But I found much about the movie that applies to my life. Some things are true for certain people, and some things are just plain true. After all, at some point in everyone's life, we come face to ugly face with adversity. It's hard and it hurts. But we can't hide from it for the rest of our lives or blame it on anyone or anything. Sometimes things happen for a reason and sometimes things just happen for no reason at all. But the real question is the same as always: What are you going to do?

Bagger Vance: "I don't need to understand... Ain't a soul on this entire earth ain't got a burden to carry he don't understand, you ain't alone in that... But you been carryin' this one long enough... Time to go on... lay it down..."

What did I do? I survived it. I got over it. I got on with life. At least on the outside it looked that way. But did I win? Not always. Sometimes I failed. Sometimes I ran from it. And sometimes I fought back with all I had to fight with. Now, let me tell you, this is the scariest thing I've ever done. I'm running to it.

Hardy Greaves: "There ain't nobody to beat up on but yourself."

I have been and still am my own worst enemy. I am harder on myself than anyone else has been on me. And it's time to make friends with that enemy. To remind myself that I am not alone in my fight. That there are people surrounding me who want me to win. Just like God created me to win.

Bagger Vance: "Yes you can... but you ain't alone... I"m right here with ya... I've been here all along... Now play the game... Your game... The one that only you was meant to play... Then one that was given to you when you come into this world... You ready?"

Yes, Bagger Vance, I'm ready.

Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment