Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Break Time

While running on the treadmill, yesterday, my knees started screaming almost audibly. I really think a microphone could have picked up words that I won't post here. In short, they were done with the abuse. I'm not sure if it's my running method or what but I've only noticed slight discomfort recently but not all out pain. But when the body sends signals that it's not cool with what's happening then it's defintely time for a change.

So today that is what it must be. I may try to go for a long walk with the boys, later, but running is definitely out until tomorrow. Treating an injury - that's what the running worlds calls it - means rest, ice, compression, and elevation, otherwise known as the R.I.C.E. treatment. some injuries require further treatement and examination by a medical doctor but starting with a simple R.I.C.E. treatment can help get the injury under control so recovery time can be shortened.

The basic R.I.C.E. treatment is as follows:
1. Rest is often the easiest and most effective treatment for common running injuries. Take a couple of days off from running -- it may be all you need to heal your injury.

2. Ice the trouble spot with an ice pack or a bag of frozen veggies for 20 minutes, every 4 to 6 hours. Try to ice the affected area as soon as possible once you feel pain, and immediately after a run if you are running with an injury. Heat should only be applied to an injury after the inflammation is gone, usually after about 72 hours. If your swelling has gone down significantly, but there's still some inflammation, try alternating heat and ice after a few days of ice-only treatment.

3. Compression limits swelling and can provide minor pain relief. You can wrap the affected area with an Ace bandage, but don't make it too tight. If you feel throbbing or excessive pressure, loosen the bandage.

4. Elevate the injured body part -- try to get it higher than your heart, if possible. In most cases, you can do this by lying down and propping the injury up on pillows.
The biggest "pain" may be having to rest or exercise differently for the next day or so. But it's important to prevent further injury and allow time enough for healing. In the meantime, I'm going to take it easy on my food intake and simply let my body take a break.

Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment